Telegram Live Chat Plan
I’m planning to enable the topics feature in the Eden Fractal group and start a new topic/channel for live chat during meetings.
This plan is quite new and may change after hearing feedback, but right now it seems to provide a simple way to create many benefits for the community. If there are no objections or flaws found in the logic of this plan, I’ll encourage everyone to stop using the zoom chat and use the telegram chat instead during our weekly meetings.
There are many benefits of switching to the telegram chat instead of the zoom chat. You can see an overview of these benefits below, as well as a simple system to use telegram polls to help facilitate cagendas.
- Telegram Live Chat Plan
- How can Telegram Polls help facilitate Cagendas?
- Other Benefits
- Persistent Chat
- Composable and Linkable Chats
- Multimedia Chat Features
- Sharing the Live Chat Screen
- Social Media Growth and Connective Opportunities
- Synergies with Fractalgram
- Ease of Use and Upgradeability
How can Telegram Polls help facilitate Cagendas?
First, let’s explore how telegram polls can better help facilitate our weekly cagendas games and delegate meetings. I propose a simple system whereby each delegate can use telegram polls in the live chat to vote on proposals and signal their intent to move to the next topic.
Here’s how it works:
- Each topic proposed on Consortium will be posted in telegram at 16 UTC in the order of votes on Consortium. I can specify that voting for topics closes at 16 UTC to ensure that the final order is on telegram. Topics can be pinned for easy reference.
- When we play cagendas, I’ll ask the delegates to give the topic a ‘zing’ when they are ready to move onto the next topic by reacting to the topic post in telegram with a thunderbolt emoji.
- Delegates can also vote on proposals in telegram, which will make it a bit easier to count votes.
- I’ll also ask non-delegates to react with a Christmas tree emoji when they’re ready to move on to the next topic. This will help us get a better feel of what each community member wants, while still being able to pay extra attention to delegates.
- As moderator, I’ll move onto the next topic when I see lots of zings and christmas trees. I’ll prioritize zings over christmas trees to help delegates process proposals as they see fit.
This simple system will make it easy to see when community members are ready to move on to the next topic, increase our capacity to process proposals faster, and help us cooperate more effectively.
In addition to enabling the above system for signaling intent to move onto the next topic, switching to the telegram chat provides many other large benefits. These benefits include:
Telegram chat is more persistent than zoom chat. In other words, telegram makes it much easier to see and interact with chats after the meeting is over.
After the zoom meetings, the zoom chat is fairly inaccessible for most participants. Anyone can download the zoom chat of each meeting and it automatically downloads it onto my computer as part of the recording, but it is much easier for everyone to see all of the messages saved in telegram without any additional steps.
Composable and Linkable Chats
With the zoom chat, individuals can save one large, unorganized text file. With the telegram chat, it automatically saves the chat with linkable and composable multimedia messages on telegram’s servers to give everyone easy access.
Each telegram message automatically gets it’s own URL for easy access or reference. Community members can easily respond to specific messages in telegram, which is not possible in the zoom chat.
Multimedia Chat Features
The Telegram chat has much more helpful features than zoom chat. Whereas zoom chat only allows text sharing and some very basic image sharing features, the telegram chat features full multimedia support for videos, GIFs, pictures, hypertext, audio, and more!
Sharing the Live Chat Screen
We can share the screen of the telegram window much better than with the zoom chat. Youtubers and livestreamers often show their chat during videos to make shows more engaging. This is helpful for making better videos and enabling each community member to contribute to the discussion in more expressive, creative, intelligible, and fun ways!
Social Media Growth and Connective Opportunities
When we use the Eden Fractal telegram chat, it provides a nice opportunity for people to join the eden fractal telegram channel and keep in touch, whereas the zoom chat does not provide this experience or opportunity to keep in touch.
Synergies with Fractalgram
Since Tadas introduced an excellent telegram app called Fractalgram, it can make sense to use telegram more to provide a more seamless and cohesive experience for all participants. This can also have synergies with other Eden telegram tools, such as the UpVote Bot.
Ease of Use and Upgradeability
Perhaps Tadas or someone else can further build out these tools for the live chat topic, such as the ability to assign telegram roles based upon who is a delegate. Perhaps we could also add some bot functionality to help facilitate meetings with inspiration from the EOS Bees Bot, EOS Chatbot, Galaxy, or ChatGPT. However, we can already do a large majority of awesome things without need for additional coding… just by organizing ourselves better with current telegram features!
What do you think?
You can share your thoughts by responding to the message in telegram, voting to discuss the topic on consortium, and joining the cagendas discussions at Eden Fractal meetings. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!