Green Screen Alternatives
If you don’t want to use a green screen, you could also show your work with the following tools:
- tablet device
- computer monitor
- tv screen
- printed paper
It is probably also possible to use the ‘remove background’ feature in zoom, OBS, Logitech Webcam software, or another application to replace the function of the greenscreen. A well-lit green screen is best when feasible, but this remove background feature could be much simpler and easier. I’ve never looked into this but imagine that you could probably figure out how to do this with a relatively small amount of research on google/youtube.
Green Screens: Helpful Qualities
- It's often helpful to get bigger green screens for wider frames.
- If you use a greenscreen that is only a couple feet wide, then this will only allows you to use a small frame that you can use with chroma key abilities.
- For example, if you want to gesture with your arms then they may get cut off on the frame of the camera because they extend beyond the green screen, which might look akward if the frame of your entire canvas is bigger than the frame of your body.
- It’s often helpful to get a green screen that is portable and easy to move
Types of Green Screens & Stands:
Here are some different types of green screens.
Pop-up Green Screens
These work great if you dont need a wide frame. Very portable and colapsible. Often needs a stand to hold them up if theres no wall or anything.
In the past I’ve draped a cloth green screen over these clothing racks, which makes for a very cheap good portable green screen:
Green Screen Pole Stands
These are less portable and the stand can get in the way, but can work well if you have room
Collapsible Green Screen Panels
Costs like $150
Turnbuckle for advanced
Infinity Green Screen for very advanced
Do I need a stand for a green screen?
A friend asked if they could attach their green screen to their chair instead of using a stand. I would not recomend attaching a green screen to a chair for multiple reasons:
- It will have shadows that make the chrome key look bad. You usually want at least 2-3 feet behind you in between the green screen so you can eliminate shadows.
- It might get in your way while sitting.
- The video frame may be prohibitively small.
What Kind of Camera Should I Use?
Notes (Work in Progress)